News and Updates
The LDS Family Travel Guide: Sharon, Palmyra and Kirtland and The LDS Family Travel Guide: Independence, Nauvoo and Winter Quarters will both be updated for a spring 2012 printing. Some of the changes and updates in the two guidebooks will include:
The LDS Family Travel Guide: Sharon, Palmyra and Kirtland
- Harmony (Oakland), Pennsylvania – On April 22nd 2011, the LDS Church announced a new project on the banks of the Susquehanna River which will include restoration and reconstruction of historic buildings and construction of monuments commemorating the restoration of the priesthood.
- Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra, New York – 2012 Performances are July 13, 14, 17 – 21. Of special note – this is the 75th Anniversary of the Hill Cumorah Pageant! For additional information visit www.hillcumorah.org.
- R.J's has closed. It is listed under the discounts in the restaurant section of the Kirtland chapter.
- We are removing Days Inn Cleveland/Willoughby from our recommended lodging options in Kirtland. Since the property changed ownership, it is not up to our standards and we cannot recommend it.
The LDS Family Travel Guide: Independence, Nauvoo and Winter Quarters
- Lodging in Independence, Missouri – We will be adding a new lodging discount. Drury Inn & Suites has just opened. It is located at 20300 East 42nd Street in nearby Blue Springs. Visit www.druryhotels.com for more information.
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Independence, Missouri – This property has changed ownership and we have noticed that it is not as well-maintained as it was before. However, it will still be included in our discounts and recommended lodging.
- Monument to the Eight Witnesses on the Michael Arthur Farm in Liberty, Missouri – The monument was dedicated on November 19, 2011. Directions to the farm are in our previous printing and it will be on our "must see" list of sites for Liberty.
- Old Log House Jail Marker in Richmond, Missouri – This marker was also dedicated on November 19, 2011. Directions to the site are in our previous printings.
- Charles Rich 1837 Log House in Far West, Missouri – The cabin has greatly deteriorated in the past few years and walking from your car to the site is now more difficult. Plans are in the works to restore the cabin and we will keep you updated.
- Shaes' Place has closed. It is listed under the discounts in the restaurant section of the Gallatin chapter.
- Sandman Motel in Gallatin has changed ownership. We have not been able to inspect it and thus are not sure if we will keep it on the recommended list of lodgings.
- Nauvoo Pageant – Dates for 2012 are July 10 – August 4, Tuesday thru Saturday. For more information visit www.nauvoopageant.org.
- McKee's Celtic Kitchen has closed. It is listed under the discounts in the restaurant section of the Nauvoo chapter.
- The Adventure Zone has closed as has the Pizza Zone which was located inside. They were listed under the discounts in both the "other things to do" and the restaurant section of the Nauvoo chapter.
- Ziggie's Pizza, Pasta and More has moved from Carthage to Nauvoo. It is now located at 1390 Mulholand Street in Nauvoo and they will still honor the discount.
- Finicky Franks in Omaha, Nebraska - We will be adding this restaurant to our discount section. They are located close to the Mormon Trail Center at 9520 Calhoun Road. They are honoring the discount to anyone who has the book even though your printing may not include their listing. For menu selection and pricing, visit www.finickyfranks.com.